Along the way the Lesbians in Fleeces are constantly learning! We learn about walking, camping and navigation but our drips also give us vital schooling in this thing we call life. Learn from our mistakes and take heed, sometimes learning a lesson once is not enough.
- Don't fell run before you can hill walk.
- There is no such thing as too early to start a walk on a day with not a cloud in the sky in mid July.
- Guided walks are done by experts. We are slower. We need to navigate. We need to eat. Their timings are minimums. Ours will be longer (sometimes much longer).
- Sometimes there isn't a path, but that's ok.
- Wainwright thinks 50% of the Wainwrights aren't worth the bother.
- The cast of changing rooms can also be bagged in the Lake District.
- A 10kg bag is too much.
- We need some bad weather training.
- Be safe. Take emergency kit, keep a phone charged and if it all looks like it's going to go to shit turn back.
- Fog is a swift beast.
- A GPS might be a good idea.
- Listen to Wainwright.
- Not all walking guides are equal.
- You don't have to drive for four to five hours to have a nice walk.
- Wear waterproof trousers- always.
- Fog can come from nowhere.
- Know where you are before the fog comes in (Thank you Eryl Selly for that sage advice).
- You can always turn back- there's no shame in that.
- Eat at Chester's by the river whenever feasible.
- Not all chips are veggie.
- Water water water water .... then beer!
- The word 'Arms' in a title doesn't always indicate a pub.
- You can go through a lot to get to a beer festival but it's always worth it.
- Global warming is real.
- Don't drive up a Wainwright in a toy car.
- Listen to your wife when your brain has been curdled by driving up a Wainwright in a toy car.
- Don't take up fell running on a whim.
- Always dip your toes (or your whole body) in a tarn.
- Try not to break your finger before starting a new job.
- Variety is the spice of life, in people and mountains.
- Just because you're a lesbian in a fleece doesn't mean you can't be a lesbian in a rainbow bow tie dancing in the street because it's PRIDE!!!!!
- Always have a phone with battery, head torches and a spare pint, you don't know when you're going to have to walk 2 hours in the pitch black.
- There are NO taxis in The Lake District.